Monday, February 13, 2012

Dizzy Geese

The LallyQuilters and I recently started a new 'project' we  call 'One Block Wonders'.   We pick a quilt block that appeals to us, or has a technique that we want to learn and all the participants make one block. This gives us a chance to make a block, learn from the experience, but not be bogged down or obligated to make a whole bunch of blocks. ONE block is do-able for just about everyone.  Everyone who made a block then has their name tossed into a hat & a winner is selected.  What do they win?  They will ALL the blocks for that One Block Wonder project.  Sounds like fun to me!  
I submitted a complicated, but beautiful quilt block for our first OBW project. I stumbled on this block on a blog & just loved it. It's called Dizzy Geese....named for the flying geese units 'flying' round the center block. After a little research, I found the block's pattern available in 2 books. One of these books was available at my local library, the other for less than $5.00 on Amazon. I scanned the pattern, instructions, and templates at work, and emailed them on a PDF file to the Lallyquilters. Everyone was excited about this project and eager to begin. We've had quite a few stumbling blocks along the way, but I'm happy to say I finally got my block done today. Wahoo!   While my block far from perfect, it was a great learning experience and a great challenge.


Center square

Adding the corners on.

Next section C+ D

A/B section (Center section) + C/D section.
Now for some flying geese units...



Finally got the block all squared up to 17 1/2" . This was a challenge!

Ooops! Do you see the error?
One set of my flying geese are trying to escape!
Sneaky geese!

Finished Dizzy Geese in plaid block.

10 comments:

Nita said...

I've been looking for this block everywhere! Would you be willing to share the pattern? I can't read all your measurements o your tutorial. Love your block!

Thanks...N

Donna Mc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Souza said...

Hello Donna
I'm from Brazil and I liked this block.
It's interesting.
I looking for instructions to do it, but I only find your blog.
Can you share this pattern with me?
I really apreciate it.
Thanks,
Sarah
sarah.donabele80@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

This is my dream quilt, but after getting the pattern and reading the instructions with scants and challenges, I decided to just admire other peoples work. Quilting is often frustrating enough, and I can't relax enough to tackle this. Thanks for the tutorial...it does make it seem a bit easier.

Vivian Lee

khp said...

I would love to have a copy of this pattern.

Donna Forrest said...

Followed a Facebook posting to here for a Free Quilt tutorial :-/ Please send the pattern and instructions if possible. I sure can't make it from what I found here lol ;-) djforrest1977@aol.com

P Whitehill said...

Hello - if you still have the Dizzy Geese pattern, I would love it! If you could send it to me at pam.whitehill@comcast.net, that would be appreciated. It is so unusual!
Pam

Unknown said...

Hi
I would like to know if you could send me through the dizzy geese pattern please.
adragon@optusnet.com.au
Thank you
Anita

Sandy Gray said...

Hi! I've wanted to try my hand at this block forever. Is there any way you could email me the information at sisgray_71 at yahoo dot com? Thanks in advance!

Donna Mc said...

FYI - technically, the pattern is not mine to share. It's from a book by Joan K. Streck.
Pattern is "Dizzy Geese" by Joan K. Streck from the book Quick Quilts from Your Scrap Bag.
I found the book on Amazon as well as my local library.


I purchased the book & shared it within a small group of quilters...and it was a nightmare. NONE of us were able to make the block easily. It was a struggle for everyone.

Therefore, if you want to attempt this block, please seek it from the book. Good luck!!